- Awww, our old mates Flap! are calling it a day. It was great to have shared the stage with them at festivals and shows from Melbourne to Germany. If you're headed to Woodford Folk Festival or are near one of these shows, have a boogie with them one last time.
Hello old friends,We’ve got some big news for you: We’re breaking up. We’ve had some real good times these last 7 years but it’s time now to call it a day.We’ve only got a few shows left – the very last one will be on January 18th at Howler in Brunswick.From our first show in Copenhagen, to our early gigs at Collingwood’s Fox Hotel, our Woodfords and Port Fairies, our nude gig at Bar Open, and our Tassie Circus Festivals. We toured Europe thrice, and played at The Secret Garden Party, The Brixton Academy and even The Femø Jazz Festival. It’s been real & it’s been educational. We’ve met a hell of a lot of great people, and most of all it’s been an immense amount of fun.There’s too many of you to thank individually, but you know who you are: Thank you! THANK YOU to all the people who’ve ever played with us, to the bands we’ve supported and the bands who’ve supported us. To the people who’ve helped us out when we needed a loan, or a hand, some advice or a bed to crash on. To the radio stations, the venues and festivals. To the people behind the scenes; the tech people, the bar staff, the managers, the producers, the booking agents and all the rest of you. Most of all, to you: the beautiful people that came and saw us play; who made so many of our nights so very special. We love you. We’re very grateful to you all: you’ve made us very happy.Come and join us. Come and say goodbye. We’ve only got a few more shows left:Woodford Folk Festival (Woodford, QLD)Dec 27th – Jan 1st http://www.woodfordfolkfestival.com/Bennetts Lane Jazz Club (Melbourne, VIC)Friday Jan 16thhttp://www.bennettslane.com/Theatre Royal Castlemaine (Castlemaine, VIC)Saturday Jan 17thwith The Wohoo Revuehttp://theroyalc.com.au/Howler (Brunswick, VIC)Sunday Jan 18thwith support TBChttp://www.h-w-l-r.com/Tickets thru moshtix ( http://www.moshtix.com.au/v2/event/flap-last-show/74406?&skin=4406&ref=hwlr ) Much Love,MarkJess &Eamon
- Only a few hours left of our 'more crooked, less cash' sale - for 20% off everything including vinyl and CDs delivered to your door, head to crookedfiddleband.bandcamp.com and enter the code 'crookedchristmas' at checkout!
The Crooked Fiddle Band
The sound we love is dark and often driving, but also writhing and ecstatic.
- Thanks, ReverbNation - now, if we can just get Space....
- 2 more days of crookedchristmas sale, someone just bought one of everything including our vinyl. They're getting a special crooked extra for their support.
Head to www.crookedfiddleband.bandcamp.com and enter 'crookedchristmas' at checkout for 20% discount on all our wares!
- In memory of The Hopetoun shutting it's doors 5 years ago in October, I made a little playlist featuring footage of some Hopetoun classic moments, many of which I was present for.
The Hoey was a rite of passage, years ago, for all bands who came through Sydney of a broadly rocky/indie bent. The place was smelly, badly ventilated and awesome. The definitive music pub on that side of the city.
I played my first proper gig there, and even us Crooked Fiddles played there in 2009.
Let me know if you have a vid to add to the list, and I'll put it on. For now, it features:
Dappled Cities, Powder Monkeys, Paul Kelly, You Am I, The Basics, Adalita Official, Fergus Brown, Hard-Ons - Official, Steve Smyth, The Holy Soul, Step-Panther, The Jezabels, Richard In Your Mind, Lisa Mitchell and many more.
I wish I could find footage of Decoder Ring's album launch, and of Sui Zhen too!
If you want a slice of Sydney's music scene, 1986-2009, check out the (mostly lofi) vids below.
The Hopetoun 5 year memorial playlist